Feedback Strategies

 The first article I read was The Difference Between Praise and FeedbackI found this article to be very interesting because I did not hold the same opinions as the author. The article claims that parents should praise more on the actual work that went into something a child did rather than tell the child how good their work is. However I believe that you should praise the child for both. Of course you should tell your child that you are proud of their effort, but if that is all you ever say that will make the child think that their final result is not worthy of praise. It is like giving a backhanded compliment and saying, "Well at least you tried really hard." This would definitely damage my self-confidence. The article also says that a parent should not praise their child for every thing that they do because the child may think that in order to be love, they must do chores. It also said that a parent should be constantly expressing their love for their child no matter what they do. I do not think this would be a good parenting strategy. If my parents constantly showered their love on me for everything, I would probably believe that I could get away with whatever I wanted. While I do think that a parent should make sure their kids know that they will always love them, I do not think that they should think that every action they do is deserving of praise and affection. I think children would abuse that love. 


Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset
I enjoyed this article a lot more because it focused more on how to mold children's minds into thinking they can accomplish anything. Children's minds are incredibly malleable and the way they are praised can affect what they think of themselves. If a child's mind is fixated on a certain point in life, they may not flourish into their full potential, but if they are pushed down the right path with the right encouragement, they may follow their potential. I like the analogy of a mirror giving feedback in exact reflection without any judgement. Children need to be reassured, encouraged, and uplifted in order to hold a positive self-concept about themselves and have strong 
self-esteem. It is the adult's job to foster this in their child's life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Carly the Future Counselor

The Cheetah and the Impala: Week 2 Story