My Thoughts on the Growth Mindset

 Watching the assigned videos and learning about Carol Dweck was very interesting to me because I had never heard of her or her ideas before today. In terms of academics, I definitely think that I have a growth mindset. I have always been a good student, however that does not mean that I have not received bad grades or struggled with certain subjects. While I have definitely found myself frustrated when dealing with something that does not come naturally to me, I have always been one to keep trying and push forward, because I know that I can do better. I have also often found myself bored when I am not being challenged. For example, I am currently doing the assignments for this class ahead of time because I have become bored without any schoolwork over the last month. I enjoy being challenged because it keeps me engaged. However on the other hand, I do not think I have a growth mindset in many other aspects of my life. I have often accepted that I am just simply not good at things instead of trying harder. Growing up, I was terribly uncoordinated and out of shape and therefore just accepted that I was bad at sports. I never thought that I could become good at sports because I simply thought I just was not one of those people. Even now there are things that I do not put effort into because I believe that I am not good. For example, cooking has never been enjoyable for me and it does not come naturally. Therefore I never cook and have never attemptedto learn. After learning about Carol Dweck and the growth mindset, I now think that maybe I should start putting effort into the things that I have so easily given up on. I should know better than to think that I cannot do something simply because it is challenging. Doing this assignment has opened my eyes to some of my own shortcomings. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Carly the Future Counselor

The Cheetah and the Impala: Week 2 Story