The Cheetah and the Impala: Week 2 Story

Updated story can be found at: https://sites.google.com/view/carlypotfolio/

 A large, fast Cheetah ruled the desert in Africa. He was getting very frustrated because all of the animals kept hiding from him. He was so hungry, and decided that he needed to devise a plan to trap his prey. When he stumbled upon a group of Hares, the Cheetah approached kindly saying, "Hello, Hares I come in peace! I am here to warn you!"

"Warn us about what?" asked the Hares. 

"The Lions are coming to kill you! I want to protect you! I can get you out of here quickly!" replied the Cheetah. 

"Why should we trust you? You want to eat us!" shouted the Hares. 

"I have had a change of heart and I want to protect all who live in the desert." lied the Cheetah. 

The Hares were far too dumb to understand the Cheetah's deceit and far too scared to think it over. In groups of three, the Hares climbed onto the back of the Cheetah and let him carry them away. However when he was out of sight of the other Hares, the Cheetah would quickly throw the Hares off of his back and eat them up. After eating every last Hare, the Cheetah spotted a large Impala. He smiled to himself because he knew that he could catch an even bigger meal. 

"Didn't you hear? The lions are coming! I already saved all of the Hares, let me save you too! I am much faster than you are!" offered the Cheetah. 

"Oh how kind of you! I will follow behind you, I am much too large for you to carry! Just show me the way!" replied the Impala. 

The Impala was far smarter than the Hares, and knew that the Cheetah would never save anyone out of the kindness of his heart. However the Cheetah was much too hungry and much too confident to question the Impala, and allowed him to follow behind him. However when the Cheetah got far enough out and turned to attack the Impala, the Impala was in attack stance with his horns raised. 

"What are you doing? I am guiding you to safety!" said the Cheetah, still trying to deceive him. 

Once the Cheetah was close enough, the Impala charged him and killed him. For the rest of time, no Cheetah ever dared to deceive an Impala. 

Author's Note: My story is very similar to "The Cunning Crane and the Crab". The characters and location are different, with some small alterations to the plot. However the overall storyline is the same. 

Bibliography: "The Cunning Crane and the Crab" from The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse. Web Source.




Comments

  1. Hi Carly!

    I really love the details you added to this story - it allows me to picture the events in my imagination as I read. For example, I like that you mentioned the hares climbing onto the Cheetah in groups of three. I also like that you mention the impala's horns are raised when the Cheetah turns around because I have no idea what an impala's "attack stance" looks like.
    I had a question about the setting - I always thought cheetahs lived in the savanna or the grasslands rather than a desert. Is this desert you describe the stereotypical one with sand dunes and cacti, or is it something different in Africa? The desert animals I picture are lizards, burrowing animals like meerkats, etc.
    Finally, I liked your ending with the Cheetah being defeated by the impala, but what if you added more detail to the fight? I think that could be a way to build a really exciting climax to your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carly! I really enjoyed your story and how you integrated the Jakata tale into your own storytelling version. The overall plot is similar and I can tell the inspiration you drew from the original tale. Your descriptions are really detailed which adds a nice element to readers. Only suggestion I have to your already amazing story is to continue on with the detailed descriptions in the ending as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carly, I really enjoyed reading your story about the Cheetah and the Impala. I like how your descriptions are very detailed, making it easy to visualize exactly what was going on throughout. I read the story "The Cunning Crane and the Crab," and was able to see some similarities you used throughout your story. I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Carly the Future Counselor